Registration Of Military Spouse Attorney

Instructions for Application For Temporary License Pursuant To Rule 7, § 10.06: Spouse Of A Military Servicemember

The process for submitting an Application for Temporary License pursuant to Rule 7, Section 10.06 is not available online. ONLY HARD COPIES OF APPLICATIONS will be accepted at the address above. Temporary licensing for an attorney-spouse of an active duty servicemember of the United States Uniformed Services is governed by Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 7, Section 10.06.

Attorneys applying for a temporary license pursuant to Section 10.06 who move to Tennessee and begin employment or open an office may practice pending admission (PPA) upon submitting an application to register for PPA. You must submit your complete application and apply for PPA by following the process found here

To apply for a temporary licensed under Section 10.06, you must:

  1. Be the spouse of an active duty servicemember of the United States Uniformed Services as defined by the Department of Defense and that servicemember is on military orders stationed in the State of Tennessee or Fort Campbell, Kentucky;
  1. Have been licensed and admitted by examination to practice law before the court of last resort in at least one other jurisdiction of the United States;
  1. Meet the educational requirements of sections 2.01 and 2.02 of this Rule;
  1. Have achieved a passing score on the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination (MPRE) as it is established in Tennessee at the time of application;
  1. Be currently an active member in good standing in every jurisdiction to which you have been admitted to practice, or you have resigned or been administratively revoked while in good standing from every jurisdiction without any pending disciplinary actions;
  1. Are not currently subject to lawyer discipline in any other jurisdiction;
  1. Possesses the moral character and fitness required of all applicants for admission and licensing in this State;
  1. Be physically residing in Tennessee or Fort Campbell, Kentucky, due to the servicemember’s military orders;
  1. Have never failed the Tennessee bar examination;
  1. Certify that you have read and are familiar with the Tennessee Rules of Professional Conduct; and
  1. Have paid such fees as may be set by the Board.   

Please follow the steps below to apply for a temporary license under Rule 7, Sec. 10.06 in Tennessee:

  • STEP 1

    Read and familiarize yourself with Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 7, found under the TN Supreme Court Menu in the bar at the top of this page or under Governing Authorities in the list to the left.
  • STEP 2

    Go to and create a secure NCBE number account. The NCBE number will be required on all forms completed for the NCBE and the TBLE application process.
  • STEP 3

    Go to and complete the character and fitness application for a "Motion/Reciprocity" applicant. You may begin the NCBE Application at any time within six (6) months prior to the date your application is received by the TNBLE.  When you have completed the NCBE online application process, save a copy of the completed application as a .pdf to submit with your Tennessee Application for Temporary License. You may email the NCBE application to the TBLE at or print it and include it with your Tennessee Application (Step 4). 
  • STEP 4

    Complete the Tennessee Application for Temporary License using the form at the end of this page. Sign it before a notary and have it notarized. Compile the required attachments to the application:

(a) a certified copy of the record of the court from each state in which you have been licensed to practice, which license must confer the right to practice in the highest court in that state;

(b) a certificate of good standing from the agency in each state in which you are licensed responsible for the enforcement of disciplinary rules in that state;

(c) a complete copy of the NCBE Application for Background Investigation, with attachments (see Step 3, above; may be emailed);

(d) a copy of your Military Spouse Dependent Identification and documentation evidencing a spousal relationship with the servicemember; and

(e) a copy of the servicemember’s military orders to a military installation in Tennessee or Fort Campbell, Kentucky, or a letter from the servicemember’s command verifying that the requirement in Paragraph (a)(8) of Section 10.06 is met.

  • STEP 5

    Submit the $375 application fee (CHECK OR MONEY ORDER MADE PAYABLE TO: TN BOARD OF LAW EXAMINERS) and the assembled application documents from STEP 4 to the Tennessee Board of Law Examiners, 511 Union Street, Suite 525, Nashville, TN, 37219.  This office does not accept credit cards for the Temporary License Application. Please be sure to clearly mark your name and NCBE number on the check.